European not-for-profit collaboration
How it all started
Over the last few years, several initiatives were established across Europe to enhance and stimulate the knowledge and adoption of Green IT. With many of the engaged parties operating both regionally and internationally, those involved met and worked together on several occasions over time.
Convinced of the benefits of these collaborations, Green IT Amsterdam (Netherlands), Sustainability for London (United Kingdom), Green IT SIG (Switzerland) and Alliance Green IT (France) explored the possibility for a more structural approach which came together in a kick-off meeting on 4 April 2017.
“We believe that by joining forces and sharing opportunities, in addition to through our individual organisations, we create a strong hub of Green IT expertise which can consolidate and amplify across countries, regions and sectors. As a result we have now established the Green IT Global network, with our main objective to be the ecosystem of knowledge sharing on Green IT, and a driving force for innovation and sustainability”.
On 4 April 2017 all four founding organisations met at the Science Park campus in Amsterdam and Green IT Global was born. Green IT Global is a not-for-profit coalition of Green IT focused organisations forming a collaborative ecosystem network. The network has created a Manifesto, outlining the network’s ambitions and visions and was finalised on 14 June 2017. The Manifesto is used as a guiding beacon for the activities and goals the participating organisations set out to achieve together.
Within Green IT Global we define Green IT as
“Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) that generate enhanced environmental, social and economic outcomes and takes into consideration the entire product life cycle including production, usage and disposal”
- a not-for-profit network of Green IT-focused organisations, collaborating as a driving force for innovation and sustainability
- a hub for Green IT expertise, knowledge and exchange
- a discussion and collaboration partner for business organisations, education, civil society and all levels of government
- a coalition network open to expand and include others
- to consolidate expertise as well as exchange knowledge across countries, regions and sectors
- to create and amplify positive impact
- to show leadership, to respect and to encourage
- create awareness and promote Green IT
- use knowledge and collaboration to meet our network’s goals
- help reduce GHG emissions and increase responsible use of resources through Green IT solutions and knowledge sharing
- connect and share opportunities to support a level playing field
Our Goals towards 2020…
- Understand our network’s reach, identify overlap and gaps
- A comprehensive and practical assessment approach
- Create opportunities for knowledge sharing, networking and collaboration (joint projects)
- Establish positive dialogue with relevant national and international policy-making and standards bodies
- Align with the Sustainability Goals (SDG) of the United Nations
- Establish positive dialogue with (EU) educational sector